Hello and welcome !
Every Thursday I give an ashtanga based yoga class at the Eerste Bloemdwarsstraat 3hs. There are three blue doors there, it’s the one on the very left.
Thursdays from 8am or 9.30am – let me know if you’re coming via firstname.lastname@example.org or 0612484301
Please be welcome. It is an ashtanga class, no longer strictly adhering to the primary series, but very closely related.
- Cost is €10 per class and payment can be made with either cash or a bank transfer (tikkie)
- There is a bathroom/changing space available, as well as tea and water
- It’s advisable to come a little earlier so you have time to arrive; get changed, use the bathroom, drink some water etc.
- It’s best to wear clothes you can move in (but too loose fitting can also get in the way)
- The sequence we will do is more or less set so after a while you will become familier with it. It then becomes easier to focus more deeply on the poses instead of using all your concentration trying to follow what’s coming next. You can see it as a moving meditiation.
- I will give the classes in english although I do also speak dutch so any further explaination can be done in dutch.
- an short video of what we do in the class :
I look forward to seeing you there !
Short bio – Eva Kijlstra (1984): I started practicing Hatha yoga with my mother when I was 14. At 21 I discovered Ashtanga yoga and in 2007 completed an intensive teacher training in Auckland, New Zealand (certification YA200).
In 2013 I completed the Mime School here in Amsterdam. The yoga practice has funcitoned as a great support for both study and working. It functions as a ‘reset’, giving my mind and body a strong centre point to return to.
I discovered yoga through a small book I found when I was 10. On every page were photographs of a young Indian woman doing yoga poses on a beach in a bikini in the 1960’s whilst always looking into the camera. I thought she was very beautiful. Her yoga was aimed at staying young and fit. I found this small book appealing and started copying the poses.
Since then my relationship to the practice has evolved through many phases, but most importantly, it has stayed.
Since 2006 I practice more or less only Ashtanga yoga and did a yearlong full time study in 2007 to become a accredited teacher.
Ashtanga yoga is een vrij dynamisch en fysieke vorm van yoga. De focus ligt erop om een flow op te bouwen in de beweging en de ademhaling. Met deze flow ontstaat er warmte in je lichaam en dit is handig bij het schoonmaken van je lichaam, van binnen uit. Meditatie in beweging. Een sessie duurt in totaal anderhalf uur; begin, midden en eind.
Ashtanga yoga is a very dynamic and physical form or yoga. The focus lies on building up a flow of movement and and synchronicity between movement and breath. Through this flow and breath warmth is built in your body and this is used to cleanse your system, from the inside out. A moving meditation. One session takes about an hour and a half; beginning, middle and end.